Jul 2, 2013

Hungry As A....Up-cycled T-shirt Bib Tutorial



Okay-these are my new favorite thing.  If I could make a living off of making and selling these I would do it in a heart beat.  They are so easy to make, the possibilities are endless and they are ADORABLE.  I call this series my "Hungry As A..." series.  I have another one in the works for a girl, "As Sweet As...." Stay tuned for those.  To make these you will need 3 t-shirts (I only have 2 in my shot because I forgot I needed a third when I took the picture) and a bib pattern.  I made mine up but you could copy one that you like or send me a message and I will send you a copy of mine.  This size of a bib is perfect for a 1 year old-18 month old.

You want to cut out your pattern through both layers of your printed t-shirt first. and then through 1 layer of a contrasting shirt.
Sandwich the contrasting layer between the two colored layers.  The colored layers should be right sides out.
Before you sew you will want to sandwich a piece of elastic (2 inches long) in between the layers on each side of the neck bands.
Now sew around the bib (catching the elastic when you sew over that part).  Sew a second row of stitching just for looks.
Now pick any design that you would like to add to your bib.  I search on the Internet for clipart that I can trace and turn into a design.  I trace this onto Wonder Under (by Pellon) and then iron it onto the wrong side of another contrasting t-shirt.
Cut this out, peel off the backing paper (it is so simple) and iron it onto your bib.  Then sew around with a contrasting color.
It just so happens that I picked THE HARDEST image to sew to use for my tutorial.  If you are a beginner at applique-don't pick an alligator.  Too many bumps.  In the end it turned out great.
And that it is it.  The bib is soft.  It has enough layers that stuff won't just immediately soak through (though I am not saying it is totally mess proof).  It is cute and totally cool and one of a kind.  Like I said-I love how it turned out.

And here is the whole set:

T-Rex
Moose
Alligator
Bear

Wouldn't these look so cute on your hungry little guy?

Also shared here:

Today's Creative Blog



Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Those are so cute!!! I just posted on Craft Gossip with a link to your tutorial:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-upcycled-t-shirt-bibs/2013/07/02/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bibs!! and yes would you send me the pattern. I tried to cut one out but , yeah that did not work out. I do not have a little one so I am unable to judge the opening.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. send me your e-mail address to smallfryandco@gmail.com and I will send you an attachment with the pattern.

      Delete
  3. adding the piece of elastic to the bib instead of using snaps or velcro is just genius! I have a couple of nieces having babies soon, I think a trip to the thrift store is in my future so I can make them some bibs. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your bibs. Very professional especially the graphics. Please may I get a copy of your pattern?Littlequiltsandcrafts@gmail.com. Thank you! I would like to make these as shower gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those bibs! May I have a pattern please? I'd love to make some for my 16 month old! My email address is toewsn@ucom.net....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it love it....may I have the pattern. I am going to be a grandma :) I would love to make some . My email is legos06@aol.com ...Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...