Jul 11, 2011

Make Ahead Monday-Chinese Cabbage Salad

This makeahead is perfect for summer.  I am not a cabbage fan-in fact this is the only way I eat cabbage.  A friend gave my mom this recipe and it has been one of her signature dishes ever since.  It is perfect for any summer meal.  But the best part is that you can totally make this into a make ahead.  Here's what I do.
#1.  I chop up my cabbage, carrots and celery and put those all in a bowl.  This can be refrigerate to use within the next couple of days.
#2.  I mix all my crunchy topping ingredients in a bag that can be sealed and stored.
#3.  I mix up my dressing in a container so that it can be refrigerated. 
Now it can be used two ways.  If you have only a few salad eaters you can just dish up a single portion size of salad, add crunchies and a bit of dressing (saving the rest to use for another meal or tow).  Or you can dress the whole salad but leave off the crunchies and they can just be added to each persons plate.  Or if you don't want to have this as a make ahead just make the salad, dress it and toss in the crunchies (they just won't stay crunchy for very long).

Here's the recipe:
About half a head of cabbage chopped fine (1 bag of coleslaw mix works perfect too).
2-3 carrots shredded
2-3 stocks of celery chopped

Crunchies:
1 pkg Ramen Noodles (chicken flavor-with seasoning packet taken out) crushed
3 cups chow mien noodles
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (salted)

Dressing:
1/2 cup canola oil
1 seasoning packet from Ramen Noodles
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Pin It!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...